[CentOS-devel] progress?

.

fp at kraptastic.com
Sat Feb 19 07:31:08 UTC 2011

On 2/18/2011 8:28 AM, Dag Wieers wrote:
> Everything is available from:
>
>       http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/
>
> we have a viewvc front-end and a mailinglist to keep track of changes
> here:
>
>       http://svn.rpmforge.net/viewvc/
>
> And there are mailinglists to suggest changes or discuss packages. But at
> least everything is shared.
      I would like to say that in my opinion the system mentioned above
sounds better than what there is now, for outsiders.

     Now, I don't want outsiders to have access to the GPG keys, nor the
ability to push out new versions, but being able to see the source tree
as it is, and being able to download a mock config + setup instructions
would go a long way (again in my opinion).

     Forgive my naivete, but what is preventing us from doing such a
thing? Is this a lack of manpower/resources to set it up, or is this
more political as in; we don't want other rhel based distros to steal
our juju?

     For those about to say, help out or don't; I have helped out. I did
a handful of patches last month after reverse engineering the process
(http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.centos.devel/6903/). Fast forward a
month, and none of the bug ids where I posted patches on have had so
much as their status changed. Before you jump down my throat on that, I
realize the priority was/is Centos 5.6 etc...

     I do believe that if we had a system similar to what Dag is using;
someone in the Centos community would have tried the patches I made,
maybe they didn't work and I needed to fix something or maybe they fix
it and upload a better version. I think progress would have been made
that wouldn't have detracted from the centos-devel's focus.