[CentOS-devel] progress?

Larry Vaden

vaden at texoma.net
Sun Feb 20 01:43:43 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 6:32 PM, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
>> For the vast majority of packages, we make no changes.  We rebuild it
>> and test it.  If the binary passes the test, we use it.  If the binary
>> does not pass the test we troubleshoot and figure out why it does not
>> pass the test ... and we change things OUTSIDE the SRPM to fix the
>> problem.
>
> Yes, and those changes are closed.

Hi Dag,

Help this old former ASR33 operator understand, please:  are you saying

1) the changes aren't called out in the bug report to the upstream
-or-
2) the bug reports to the upstream aren't timely
-or-
3) your choice of words.

In your operation of the very well known rpmforge repo, if you
encountered an example like Johnny mentioned, namely an
incomplete/incorrect SRPM, unlike the constraints on CentOS
developers, do you have the freedom to modify the SRPM and thus run a
constant build environment?

Or is it the case that you _always_build your own SRPMS?

Regardless of why, are there cases where you have to make adjustments
to the build environment in order to get a clean compile/binary?

If so, how do you document said?

Have you already migrated to koji or are you planning to _or_?

kind regards/ldv/vaden at texoma.net