[CentOS-devel] progress?

Dag Wieers

dag at wieers.com
Sun Feb 20 12:11:07 UTC 2011

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Larry Vaden wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 6:32 PM, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>
>>> For the vast majority of packages, we make no changes.  We rebuild it
>>> and test it.  If the binary passes the test, we use it.  If the binary
>>> does not pass the test we troubleshoot and figure out why it does not
>>> pass the test ... and we change things OUTSIDE the SRPM to fix the
>>> problem.
>>
>> Yes, and those changes are closed.
>
> Hi Dag,
>
> Help this old former ASR33 operator understand, please:  are you saying
>
> 1) the changes aren't called out in the bug report to the upstream
> -or-
> 2) the bug reports to the upstream aren't timely
> -or-
> 3) your choice of words.

You cut away the meat of my message and focussed on the least important
bit, the non-transparency. I am more interested how we can do a better job
in the future.

Remind you that we have had the same discussions on this list in the past,
including the promises that it would be better in the future. And here we
are again and the situation is worse than it ever was.

So:

4) CentOS is not able to release CentOS 5.6 after 2 months and nobody is
    allowed to be critical about it.

    (Despite the fact that the effort to rebuild CentOS 5.6 packages is a
    lot easier than CentOS 6.0 which is already 3 months late)

5) The same 3 people are responsible for CentOS 4, CentOS 5 and CentOS 6.
    What's more, the fact that there would be three update releases in 3
    months was predictable.

So despite all the automation, QA team, past promises and whatnot, we are
not doing a better job today and I had hoped at least some people would
agree instead of denying there's something wrong with the process and
blaming the non-volunteers/community for even bringing it up.

And despite what some people may think, I am not _against_ CentOS, in fact
the only reason why I am bringing it up is because * I * still * care !