[CentOS-devel] Am I qualified to help?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 00:32:08 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 01:30:41PM -0600, Hubert Bahr wrote:
>> Personally I was hoping this would not be the case.   UpStream primarily
>> responds to users that pay for support.  As a result if the bug you
>> identified is not also identified by a "pay for support customer" it may
>> not even be considered.  I thought CentOS was only dependent on the
>

> This is not, by the way, my experience at all. "UpStream" has been very
> serious about handling all clear bugs I've reported.
>
> This is even true with trivially-fixed packaging bugs. You might not get an
> immediate errata released, but the problem will eventually get fixed.

Heh. My luck on that has been inconsistent. It took 4 years and a new
OS release to restore the 'Minimal' kickstart installation option.

> The proper place to report these things *is* upstream, even if you're not a
> direct customer.

Paying for at least one license to get contact with the support team
is helpful, even if you can't afford RHEL licenses on your project or
if you, personally, are doing a better job of support on paid time
through CentOS than RHEL nominally provides. (I've been in that
situation for various clusters I've done.)