[CentOS-devel] Am I qualified to help?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Jan 10 17:02:14 UTC 2011

On 01/08/2011 07:30 PM, Hubert Bahr wrote:
> I interpret this statement to say, "if the upstream binary package is
> buggy, CentOS must provide the same bugs."
in the main distro, that has always been the case - within reason. If
there is some blatant security issue then we should try and fix that
right away ( as an example )

> not even be considered.  I thought CentOS was only dependent on the
> UpStream Sources, not on a recreation of their buggy build environment.

Right, were not dependant on their build system - technically the most
important thing that we try and target is to no break third party
expectations or change the user experience as much as possible. So
matching what comes down bit for bit, is very high on the agenda.

I hope you see the reference to the 'main distro' and how that differs
from what goes into the 'Plus repo'. There is a lot more flexibility
there, from bringing in newer apps to changing behavioural expectations
of existing apps in the distro. The idea and mechanism is there, how you
want to target it is something that is completely upto you. We dont
really have a formal process to induct packages into the Plus repo's -
but given interest, thats not hard to work out.

- KB