[CentOS-devel] 5.6 impact on 6.0 Release plan

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Jan 14 10:51:43 UTC 2011

Hi Hubert,

On 01/14/2011 04:59 AM, Hubert Bahr wrote:
>>>    From my perspective:
>>> - 5.6 impacts existing installs
>>> - 5.6 and updates contain security issues
> A different perspective.  RHEL-5, CentOS-5 no matter what point change
> is essentially obsolete.  Thus the need for RHEL-6, CentOS-6 which are
> actually a couple of years late.  How much has changed form 5.5 +

That makes perfect sense - however, its not a case of one or the other,
its just a case of which one we get out of the door first. Also, since
the QA team is largely a different set of people helping out with
CentOS-6 and the infra team, there might be a a bit of potential to keep
more people busy productively through the next few weeks if we were to
get the 5.6 isos and tree over into QA first.

Lets see if we can get a decision on irc later today. The over whelming
requests seem to be to get 5.6 out first, but its always good to talk
about - there are valid points in either direction.

- KB