[CentOS-devel] Status of CentOS 5 for the i586?

Leon Fauster leonfauster at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 7 11:27:53 UTC 2011

Am 03.06.2011 um 15:11 schrieb Lamar Owen:
> On Friday, June 03, 2011 12:10:23 AM Cody Jackson wrote:
>> Is this information useful in any way? I know the K6 is *practically*
>> dead, but I'm sure there's a few diehards using it still. (Maybe three
>> or four?)
>
> Yes, it's useful.  i586, as mentioned already in the thread, is needed for Geode support, as well as VIA C3 support.

I am running c5 on geode now and saw that the cmov instruction
is provided by this cpu despite being in the i586 cpu family.

Right now only i386 and i586 rpms are installed. I will try later to upgrade the
corresponding rpms to i686 versions.

[root at localhost ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 5
model           : 10
model name      : Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by AMD PCS
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 498.097
cache size      : 128 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de pse tsc msr cx8 pge cmov clflush mmx mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up
bogomips        : 996.19

[root at localhost ~]# head -4 /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:       255140 kB
MemFree:        174188 kB
Buffers:          5224 kB
Cached:          64996 kB