[CentOS-devel] Status of CentOS 5 for the i586?

Fri Jun 3 09:26:19 UTC 2011
Timothy Lee <timothy.ty.lee at gmail.com>

  On 3/6/2011 12:10, Cody Jackson wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> What's the status of the CentOS 5 for the i586 project?
Umm.  No one is officially working on it, as far as I know.
> I was experimenting with my AMD K6-II machine today. By following the
> notes at http://wiki.centos.org/TimothyLee/centos5_i586_patch and the
> link above, I managed to compile an i586 kernel and deploy it on the
> K6 machine, which is now running C5 happily behind me with about 76MB
> of RAM. I wrote down the steps I took and the problems I encountered,
> which I need to organize a bit.
I'm glad that my notes helped you.  I was hoping to migrate some i586
machines from Fedora 7 to CentOS 5, but never quite got around to that.
Perhaps you could organize your steps into a wiki page -- even though
there is no official support, at least the steps will be there if
someone else is interested in trying them out.

Regards,
Timothy