[CentOS-devel] SRPMS for RHEL releases and updates

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 23:15:44 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> on 3/24/2011 9:49 AM Coy Hile spake the following:
>> In looking at the various FAQs, I haven't seen an answer to this, so I
>> thought I would pose it here.  Where/how do the CentOS maintainers get
>> the SRPMS from the upstream vendor? The reason I ask is more a
>> question of given DVDs of all the SRPMs, how does one go about
>> spinning up an installable ISO?  I'm thinking from the perspective of
>> rolling my own ISO until CentOS 6 came out.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Coy
> That is like asking " I have a scalpel, how do I do brain surgery in the mirror?"
> Getting the scalpel is easy... It is the magic of actually producing a working
> distro that is the difficult part. If it was easy enough for every one to do
> it, it would already be out and sync'd to the mirrors.

Speaking of which.

Would it be possible to publish the currently used "build" scripts,
and mock configuration files, in the centos/5.5/build/ repository? And
expire the clearly out-of-date or duplicated files there? It would
help reduce confusion for those of us who *do* know quite a lot about
brain surgery.

(Oddly enough, I do know something about brain surgery. The sound of
the pneumatic drill used on human skulls to avoid electrical problems,
and the smell of overheated bone as it is drilled away is.... an
interesting memory.)