[CentOS-devel] Why not a fusion between CentOS and SL?

Rainer Traut

tr.ml at gmx.de
Thu Mar 24 08:49:35 UTC 2011

Am 24.03.2011 03:07, schrieb Устинов Александр Александрович:
> SL has extra packages (it means they wasn't included into RHEL) that was
> included in it.
>
> ... we have added several packages to Scientific Linux that are not
> found anywhere in the upstream release, including IceWM, OpenAFS,
> Revisor, Live USB Creator, YUM auto-update, external YUM repositories...
> (c) from http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=06549
>
> SL and CentOS like two people that go different ways, but have the
> common base.
>
> Kind regards,
> Alexander Ustinov

The funny thing is, the point you're bringing up is quite the reverse.

In SL it reads:
"> ... we have added several packages to Scientific Linux that are not
found anywhere in the upstream release, including IceWM, OpenAFS, "

In Centos it reads:
"CentOS Extras - This repository contains items that provide additional
functionality to CentOS ... horde framework and packages, freenx, apt,
XFCE, and yumex"

What is right though, in SL these extra packages exist in the default
repo, not in an extra repo - but it is enabled by default in Centos.

info from here:
http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

Rainer