[CentOS-devel] Using https repository through proxy

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 25 15:01:52 UTC 2011

On 5/25/2011 7:33 AM, Julien.GILLES at sungard.com wrote:
>> for various reasons I am trying to install a private repository for
> Centos 5,
>> and I would like to use HTTPS only connections. The servers must
> access to this
>> repository through a proxy.
>
> Well, I found the solution, but I am a little puzzled...
>
> The proxy has to be defined using https:// instead of http://
>
> Yum could suppose himself that proxy is HTTPS aware and could try to
> connect the proxy using the CONNECT command instead of trying this
> insane "GET https://..."
>
> Hope this will help someone else facing the same problem a day !

In a local setup you might be able to manage with ssh port-forwarding
over ssh to a squid running on the server holding your repo.  That way
you can 'export http_proxy=http://localhost:local_port' and establish
the ssh connection before running yum and the network traffic to the
repository will be encrypted and only need port 22 open.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com