[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5.7 has no centos-release-cr package

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Wed Sep 28 09:09:36 UTC 2011

On 09/28/2011 10:39 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Време: 09/28/2011 10:31 AM, Xavier Bachelot пише:
>>> There is no need to upgrade anything.  If you installed the package, you
>>> are on CR ... then and now.
>>> The CentOS-CR repo points to /5/cr/ (which is 5.7 now and was 5.6 when
>>> the repo file was released).
>>> It (/cr/) is currently empty because 5.7/os and 5.7/updates contain all
>>> the RPMS that are required to update from 5.6 (or any other version of
>>> CentOS).
>>> When 5.8 is released, the RPMs that are part of 5.8 will get put into
>>> the /5.7/cr/ and allow people who are opted in to get the updates before
>>> the 5.8 release.
>>> I think maybe putting the RPM in "extras", so it is easier to install is
>>> doable ... but not a huge issue.
>>> In fact, I have put it there.  centos-release-cr is now in extras.
>> What's the reasoning for putting centos-release-cr in the extras repo ?
>> Imho, the package would fit better in either the updates or cr
>> repositories (with a preference for the later), because these 2 repos
>> allows to get upstream updates and only that, while extras carries a lot
>> of packages not coming from upstream. Providing a repository yum
>> configuration from within said repository is quite usual for other repos
>> and it looks strange to have to use one repo to get the conf for another.
> Base repos must reflect what upstream is publishing. Thus, any extra
> packages must go elswhere.
This package is special, as it provides only yum confs and no binaries
or anything else, and is needed to actually get the updates upstream is
publishing. To be a bit bold, this is not different than the
centos-release package, which is not in extras either.
Actually, the cr repo definition could just be added to the
centos-release package, possibly disabled by default.