[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5.7 has no centos-release-cr package

Kevin Stange kevin at steadfast.net
Wed Sep 28 09:16:49 UTC 2011

On 09/28/2011 04:09 AM, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> On 09/28/2011 10:39 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> Време: 09/28/2011 10:31 AM, Xavier Bachelot пише:

>>> What's the reasoning for putting centos-release-cr in the extras repo ?
>>> Imho, the package would fit better in either the updates or cr
>>> repositories (with a preference for the later), because these 2 repos
>>> allows to get upstream updates and only that, while extras carries a lot
>>> of packages not coming from upstream. Providing a repository yum
>>> configuration from within said repository is quite usual for other repos
>>> and it looks strange to have to use one repo to get the conf for another.
>>>

>> Base repos must reflect what upstream is publishing. Thus, any extra
>> packages must go elswhere.
>>
> This package is special, as it provides only yum confs and no binaries
> or anything else, and is needed to actually get the updates upstream is
> publishing. To be a bit bold, this is not different than the
> centos-release package, which is not in extras either.
> Actually, the cr repo definition could just be added to the
> centos-release package, possibly disabled by default.

No, no, no, why do we want to sabotage CR?  Why does everyone hate it so
much?

If it's going to be in the base release file and disabled by default,
now we make it even harder, instead of (easy) "yum install" or (less
easy) wget into proper place, now you're saying users are going to need
to edit files or use "yum --enablerepo" to get updates.

This is an important repo with security patches that could otherwise be
months delayed.  This should not be something hidden from users.

I still think it should be opt-out, but I can accept that it is not in
the mission to break individual release compatibility with upstream by
default.  Let's NOT intentionally make it harder to install this,
please, please.

--
Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer