[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5.7 has no centos-release-cr package

Thu Sep 15 10:51:49 UTC 2011
Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>

On 09/15/2011 01:34 PM, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> On 09/15/2011 12:18 PM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> On 09/15/2011 12:34 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
>>> The centos-cr repository should only be unsed during transition phase
>>> from one minor to another. The package will be removed once the next
>>> minor is release, and re-appear on next transition. (hope I said it
>>> right, Karan :))
>> This was the first approach but it was changed. The implemented approach
>> is for /cr to remain in place, the repository links from the repo
>> definition will point to the new URL automatically. However the
>> repository will be populated only during the transition phase of a new
>> minor release ( i.e for instance after RHEL 5.8 is out but before CentOS
>> 5.8 is released ).
>>
>>> So the cr release package is not meant to be included in kickstart by
>>> default.
>> that is true. It is useful only during the transitional phase between
>> RHEL's launch of a new dot release and CentOS catching up.
> What's wrong with always having the CR repo installed and enabled ? It
> might be empty outside of transition periods, but this shouldn't hurt,
> right ?
right. the reported issue  here is that they are trying to import the
centos-cr package via the kickstart and there is no such package yet in
CentOS 5.7

>   My understanding is there is no QA difference between a package
> pushed to the updates or one pushed to the cr repo, thus base + updates
> + cr repos should stack up nicely.
that is correct. Actually the process is quite simple, packages are
first pushed to the CentOS X.n/cr/  and then hardlinked to the Centos
X.n+1/os ( or /updates, depending on the origin)