[CentOS-devel] please add vnconfig to minimal install CD

Fri Aug 17 22:13:46 UTC 2012
Matthew Patton <mpatton at inforelay.com>

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 18:00:39 -0400, Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk> wrote:

> "The aim of this disk is to install a CentOS 6.3 system which has a
> minimum of packages needed to have a functional system, with no
> compromise regarding security and fully network and yum aware."

yes I get the sentiment. Ok strike 'man' and 'ntp'. But netcat and
bind-utils are TROUBLESHOOTING tools. When the install is done and your
machine don't work, it's mighty nice to be able to see if you have more
than 'ping' working. If name resolution isn't working 'yum' isn't going to
be productive. My rationale for wget is so that in a pinch you can get
files be they config, RPM or whatever. NFS-utils is in there which could
be argued is of less import.

I'm not trying to argue unnecessarily here but minimal should IMO be more
than just the exact number of packages left over after we've managed to
remove every last thing we could.

My piece has been said. Talk amongst yourselves.

--
Cloud Services Architect, Senior System Administrator
InfoRelay Online Systems (www.inforelay.com)