[CentOS-devel] What name would be acceptable for Desktop version of CentOS?

Ljubomir Ljubojevic

office at plnet.rs
Fri Jan 20 18:24:17 UTC 2012

On 01/20/2012 06:53 PM, Matt Rose wrote:
> You could also be a little adventurous and call it something entirely
> different, like Chocolate.  (though that probably popped into my head
> because of Linux Mint).

I would like to stay as close as possible to CentOS name, because it
practically is CentOS, with third-party repositories enabled. Intention
is to provide easily installable packages from various repositories, but
I have no desire to make it into developing distro, just a bunch of
carefully chosen and above all as stable as possible packages sitting on
top of the CentOS (with as little as possible replaced packages) that
will attract Desktop users wanting stability above all, but not
knowledgeable enough to decide what package from what repository they
are to chose.

I have not made any decision yet about a name, and I am very well aware
of negative implications some proposed names have, that is precisely why
I asked for a fresh perspective and additional input. I did not want to
put any ideas into your heads, but I have chosen instead to hear your
original sentiment.

Problem with CentOS-DE I see is that it consists of two words when you
say it, it would be better that it is one fluid word that clearly
defines it in conversation.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)