[CentOS-devel] Shipping an EPEL release

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 00:51:32 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Manuel Wolfshant
<wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
> On 09/14/2012 01:24 AM, John R. Dennison wrote:

>>> Exactly . Ship the current $repo-release in centos-extras. Similar to
>>> what SL does for several repos and to what IUS does for EPEL as well.
>> Who cares what SL does?  Who cares what IUS does?

> I do. We are  not alone in the world.

I do, too. I have been in both CentOS and SL communities for some time
now and see a number of people helping in both places. I tend to think
all clones are members of a big family. Family members may have
quarrels but they can help each other as well. :)

In this particular case, as already pointed out by others, the
-release packages are not installed by default in SL, so for most
users they are non-existent.  But having the -release rpm available in
SL actually benefited me more than a few times. When helping someone
who needs to install a kmod package from ELRepo, for example, it is
just 2 commands away; yum install elrepo-release rpm and the kmod
itself.

Akemi