[CentOS-devel] CentOS-6.4 OpenStack testing cloud images

Florian La Roche Florian.LaRoche at gmx.net
Tue Oct 29 14:25:51 UTC 2013

Hello Karanbir,

> My assumption was that people would ssh-key login via root, after using
> the metadata service to inject a ssh-key; is that an unfair assumption
> here ?

Right, this should be the normal case.

> The thought of having a pre-setup root password in images that might
> make it to public interfaces is a bit unsettling.

So the current image already disables password login for ssh. And I think
Nux is right to also remove the root password in /etc/shadow completely.

For the "problem case" where e.g. ssh over the network might be broken then
cloud-init needs to inject a root password or something similar to allow
for console access.

> > For people now looking at the new OpenStack Havana release: If you want
> > to setup your own test cloud ontop of CentOS-6.4, please have a look at
> > http://jur-linux.org/testwiki/index.php/CloudLinux/OpenStack
>
> this looks like a good resource - both for people starting off and for
> people looking at references specific for the EL base. We could do with
> something like this at wiki.centos.org/Cloud/OpenStack - fancy hacking
> that up ?

If I get the right access, I'd be happy to move information over to the
centos wiki.

> > P.S.: Will the script to setup this CentOS image also be available to
> >       allow for many stable/customized versions to show up?
>
> yes, I might have cleaned up the kickstarts; but in future builds those
> should still be in place. The image is built from an anaconda run, and
> not a loop mounted package injection process.

Looking forward to these.

best regards,

Florian La Roche