[CentOS-devel] CentOS-6.4 OpenStack testing cloud images

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Oct 28 12:44:40 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 10/24/2013 08:10 PM, Florian La Roche wrote:
> Hello Karanbir,
>
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 05:38:18PM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> CentOS-6.4 i386 and x86_64 images targetting OpenStack are now available
>> for testing at http://dev.centos.org/centos/hvm/ Images are available
>> for KVM, Hyper-V, VMware, Xen and any other HVM hypervisor.  Although,
>> the 6.x kernel has the pv support enabled, so should work fine under
>> paravirt Xen as well.
>
> Works for me with OpenStack Havana with kvm and your qcow2 image.

thanks!

> Image logs good to the log output and console seems to wok fine.
> Is there a root password setup? Ssh also accepts password login per default.
> (My favourite would be a standard password people can login on the
> console, but only allow ssh login via ssh keys. ??)

My assumption was that people would ssh-key login via root, after using
the metadata service to inject a ssh-key; is that an unfair assumption
here ?

The thought of having a pre-setup root password in images that might
make it to public interfaces is a bit unsettling.

> For people now looking at the new OpenStack Havana release: If you want
> to setup your own test cloud ontop of CentOS-6.4, please have a look at
> http://jur-linux.org/testwiki/index.php/CloudLinux/OpenStack

this looks like a good resource - both for people starting off and for
people looking at references specific for the EL base. We could do with
something like this at wiki.centos.org/Cloud/OpenStack - fancy hacking
that up ?

> P.S.: Will the script to setup this CentOS image also be available to
>       allow for many stable/customized versions to show up?

yes, I might have cleaned up the kickstarts; but in future builds those
should still be in place. The image is built from an anaconda run, and
not a loop mounted package injection process.

regards

--
Karanbir Singh