[CentOS-devel] scheduling some downtime for reimzul and git.c.o

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 12:49:39 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> hi,
>
> there are a string of updates backed up behind git.centos.org and the
> reimzul services. Things that we had in the pipeline from before when
> Seven came through, and then all the dev work and inside instance work
> that was done to make Seven go through :: lots of bandaid's in place.
>
> I'd like to schedule some downtime for services, so we can rebase out of
> some of this technical debt.

Thank you for the heads up. It's always helpful to be able to
*schedule* downtime. The improvement in transparancy of CentOS
building that came with git.centos.org has been very nice.

I'm very curious about your disaster recovery setup setup, if any. The
numerous public mirrors work well for the RPM/SRPM repositories. But
if you can say, is there anything in place for git.centos.org if its
hosting data center goes toes up? I've been in the field long enough
that I've seen any number of "5 9's guaranteed!' hosting sites get
knocked completely off the air for a day or more.

I'd also like to point out that this is one of the occasions when
using GPG signed git tags would make it safer for me, as a developer,
to clone someone else's git repository while you're off line, and be
sure what is actually from the git.centos.org repo and what is not.
Wouldn't want that to interfere with cleaning up the band-aid work,
just a thought.