[CentOS-devel] Is it possible to merge elrepo.org contribute to centos main repository?

Wed Feb 26 19:51:51 UTC 2014
Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org>

On 02/26/2014 12:50 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> Jim, you have challenged me, but to tie my hands behind my back and grab
> a rope, because without ability to install "illegal" 3rd party
> repository (vlc, gstreamer-bad, ...) without any hassle, there is no
> point in wasting any time on Desktop SIG.

I'm not the one tying your hands. That's the current state of US law,
and I'm not any happier about it than you are. That said, there are
still a number of things that can be done for a desktop spin beyond
debating the legality of certain software.

1. Themes beyond the default for various desktops. I'm reasonably
confident that XFCE will see a bit of a boost in usage with el7, since
gnome3 seems problematic for some people. The default xfce themes are
terrible however, and making a decent theme would go quite a long way
toward improving things.

2. Providing newer versions of common desktop environments or software
in a sig. for example, a newer XFCE, Mate, Firefox, thunderbird (since
that's missing in the el7 beta).

3. Documentation around the proper method of getting the desired result
for a useful desktop.

--
Jim Perrin