[CentOS-devel] Cloud image default login

Neil Wilson neil at brightbox.co.uk
Mon Jul 14 16:07:26 UTC 2014

On 14 Jul 2014, at 16:54, Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro> wrote:

> [...]

The default in cloud is to have a locked root user and use sudo for root operations from a non-privileged user. That’s how Ubuntu does it, and it is how the Fedora image does it. And it is what cloud-init expects to see which is what will link into the public metadata systems on the public clouds.

The default for username should really be ‘centos’ I think. That fits with the other distros who name the user after themselves.

The other thing that needs fixing is ‘cloud-init’ which currently doesn’t detect Enterprise Linux clones using systems properly and makes a hash of a few things. I logged a bug today about it: https://bugs.launchpad.net/cloud-init/+bug/1341508

Bear in mind that cloud-init creates the user as specified in the default cloud-config and locks the root user by default. The kickstart script I knocked together today just creates the root user with a default password, locks the password in the %post (to work around a limitation in anaconda which demands a user if you use —lock) and then leaves the user creation to cloud-init.

That’s certainly what would make the image most useful here.