[CentOS-devel] Koji targets for the SIGs

Thomas Oulevey thomas.oulevey at cern.ch
Tue Jul 15 08:49:34 UTC 2014

Hello Folks,

As discussed in the past on this mailing list for the Centos build
service we need to define different koji targets for the SIGs. I 'll
try to present you a possible solution.

In the koji world, a "target" has a "build tag" and "destination tag".
To simply the "build tag" is the buildroot and "destination tag" is
the tag that will contain all the packages.

If you look at Fedora koji instance
(http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildtargets) you see that it is
quite simple : fXX target and the associated "build tag" is fXX-build.
That implies they build only packages with a single "disttag" (from
the macro file) for a "destination tag".

As we want to provide for each "sig" a set of targets we need to think
about the naming.

The SIGs will be able to choose a "disttag" ; which can be default
el7.centos, el7 or something else.

Let's say we have SIG="storage" DISTRIBUTION="el7".

storage7-el7-build
storage7-el7.centos-build
storage7-el7_0-build

On top of that some products we want to build/rebuild use software
collection so we will need an additional buildroot (e.g: *python33-build):

storage7-el7-python33-build
storage7-el7_0-python33-build

This part is needed for some rebuild, if the packaging is done
correctly we should not need more than Requires:COLLECTION-build in
the spec files.

So my proposal is:

For the build tags : <SIG><MAJOR>-<TAG>[-<COLLECTION>,]-build
And the target : <SIG><MAJOR>-<TAG>[-<COLLECTION>,]
The destination can be <SIG><MAJOR>-testing/<SIG><MAJOR>-release for
all the target. (or keep the Fedora naming dist-*, but it looks more
confusing to me)

Maybe we can find something better, let me know.

I think we need to take decision on the naming so we can integrate
with centpkg (don't forget about tomorrow centpkg demo :
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2014-July/011474.html)

The tools need to be able depending on the "disttag" to use the
correct "target" on the koji CLI, so it will be transparent to build
service users.
e.g: koji build storage7-el7.centos https://git.centos.org/pkg?#tag

I presented this as our SIG use case but please keep in mind that we
will have the same issues in the future ("Force sig to use 1 disttag
only" argument) if we want to add more rebuild use cases (scl,
devtoolset, etc...)

I hope I did not confused you more :-) I am waiting for your feedback.

- --
Thomas