[CentOS-devel] dist tag in rebuild SRPM

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Jul 16 14:02:42 UTC 2014

On 07/16/2014 08:53 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 07/15/2014 10:02 AM, David Mansfield wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Congrats on Centos 7, and thanks a million!
>>
>> This may have been answered before but I can't seem to discover...
>>
>> I did:
>>
>> yumdownloader --source sssd
>> rpmbuild --rebuild sssd-1.11.2-68.el7_0.5.src.rpm
>>
>> And the packages I got had a different "dist" tag than the installed
>> versions.
>>
>> Installed versions are ".el7_0" and the built ones were ".el7.centos".
>>
>> sssd-1.11.2-68.el7_0.5.x86_64                <== in repo
>> sssd-1.11.2-68.el7.centos.5.x86_64       <== rebuilt locally
>>
>> Is there a reason for this mismatch and is in intentional or an error?
>> It's a pain in the butt because I often want to replace existing package
>> version using 'rpm --replacepkgs --oldpackage' while testing fixes and
>> this makes it close to impossible due to huge dependency issues.
>>
>> (also, it seems like the default rebuild of the above package "forgets"
>> to generate one of the necessary packages: python-sssdconfig, but thats
>> a different issue).
>>
> Also note that if you do checkouts from git instead of yumdownloader, we
> have specifically added an into_srpm.sh script that calls
> return_disttag.sh and builds an SRPM from the tree.  There is no reason
> you can't also use those script in any rpmbuild extracted build area ...
> it should work there too
>
> scripts located here:
>
> https://git.centos.org/summary/centos-git-common.git

I was wrong :)

Many of those scripts look for git specific things and will not work in
an rpmbuild area that is not git based .. BUT .. I think, after
reviewing return_disttag.sh it will work there.

Regardless, those would be a good basis for scripts that would work with
yumdownloader if you want to create them.