[CentOS-devel] Delta RPMs disabled by default?

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Wed Jul 9 17:49:27 UTC 2014

On 07/09/2014 11:50 AM, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> On 07/09/2014 12:32 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> On 07/09/2014 08:20 AM, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
>>> I did notice that CentOS 6 did carry far more old drpms than Fedora
>>> does; if extra space is an issue, I'd suggest carrying a maximum of 2
>>> drpms per package: release -> current and current-1 -> current.
>> I was thinking more about something like 5 drpms;
>>
>> Also, i didnt realise one could do arbitary point in time drpms. I
>> thought it was just --num-deltas XX, and it would generate XX of the
>> latest e:v-r deltas. How does one have createrepo generate
>> $release->current and $current-1 -> $current ?
>>
>> or is it a case of just generating all of them and rm -f'ing them before
>> push to mirror ?
> Fedora only keeps the latest updates in the updates repository, so, in
> Fedora's case, createrepo just sets --oldpackagedirs to the release path
> and the path of the previously available updates.
>
> We could see about adding a new flag to createrepo; something like
> --deltanewestonly, which would only create deltarpms against the newest
> version of a package available in the repository.

And a way to remove old ones too?

Example:

PackageA1
PackageA2
PackageA3

A1 is out there and update A2 comes along.  We generate drpms.  We have
a A1toA2 drpm (and all the other stuff from the rest of the repo, like
firefox and xulrunner and kernel).

A3 comes out and I generate again.  Now I get A1toA3 and A2toA3 ... but
A1toA2 is still there from the old run .. and so are other things I want
to keep).

I need an easy way to remove A1toA2 without having to delete all and
start over every time ... because I do not want to delete and regenerate
xulrunner, firefox, kernel over again because PackageA2 moved to
PackageA3 (it takes forever to regen from scratch) .. I also don't want
to leave a whole bunch of orphan/unused files there?

Am I explaining my question in an understandable way?