[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 15:47:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:

> For lazy users who refuse to read or learn... I have very strong, and
> very negative opinions of those sorts of people. They leave disaster in
> their wake no matter what distro they run.

[...]
> I want to see CentOS grow in usage and become much more widely adopted.
> That can't happen by ONLY doing the same things we've done for the last
> decade.

I think for the latter statement to happen, you may need to embrace
users who want things to work as installed - to a certain extent
anyway.  If distros like SMEserver and ClearOS (where the common
services work out of the box with task-oriented web administration)
turn into SIGs, it may help.  Likewise for any other special-purpose
respins that reduce the setup work and knowledge needed to get a
working configuration.    The base OS as a toolbox is great for people
who want to build something new, but not so much for those who just
want to run some already-included services without caring a lot about
the implementation details.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com