[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Phoenix, Merka merka.phoenix at hp.com
Fri Jun 20 22:34:35 UTC 2014

Johnny,

>> Red Hat has a tree ... we can pick any one, I'll use 6.4 as an example.

>> When Red Hat releases 6.4 they release an ISO set and a tree. Red Hat
>> splits their tree up into several versions, for which they can charge
>> varying amounts of money  (Server, Workstation, HPC Node, Client, etc).

What about this as a reasonable compromise on the proposed version numbering?

	<major>.<minor>.<date-code>

with the <date-code> in ISO8601 format (four-digit year, two-digit month, two-digit day).

By using ISO-8601 format for the <date-code> ensures the least confusion when parsing it as a date field and it also sorts properly / compares properly when looking at previous dates.

Applying the above as the pattern, a RHEL 7.0 baseline + CentOS 7 updates as of 2014-06-20 would result in this as a version string:

	7.0.20140620

Easy to parse for both the humans and the computers; relatively easy to understand for both old and new folk.
Humans might understand better that updates for a particular branch (for example: 6.4) end after a given date. And management might understand better, why move from 6.4 to 6.5; because no patches/updates for 6.4 after YYYY-MM-DD.

Asking the humans, What is the patch date of your system? = read me the eight-digit number on the right-hand side of the version string. Is that number earlier (sometimes much earlier) than the current date? Yes = use 'yum update' to bring the system up to date; no, proceed to next step in troubleshooting issue, with a reasonable assurance that they are on a current release.

This helps focus on the two important parts, the <major> version and the <date-code>, while still keeping the <minor> field available for those who are comparing their CentOS install with relatively comparable system that was installed from a RHEL ISO media set.

For the various SIGs; if they had separate spins of the media, they could use a suffix attached to the core version string; for example: CentOS 7.0.20140620-cloud.<cloud-version>.

Thank you and your team for providing us with CentOS over the years.

Cheers!

Simba
Engineering
(long-time UNIX, Linux, and many other UNIX-based OSes since UNIX v7 :-)