[CentOS-devel] pending updates notification on login

Greg Bailey gbailey at lxpro.com
Thu Jun 12 13:30:24 UTC 2014

On 06/12/2014 06:11 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 06/12/2014 01:16 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> On 06/12/2014 12:38 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> I'd really like to have something where a user, on login to the vm or
>>> machine instance is told 'you have XX pending updates'. the data can
>>> come from a yum-plugin writing something somewhere ( so its not a case
>>> of running yum on each login ).
>>>
>>> Who wants to take a stab at writing something for this ?
>>>
>>> - KB
>>>
>> For CentOS 6 there are gpk-update-viewer and gpk-update-icon commands.
>>
>> gpk-update-icon is for noticication there is something to update (orange
>> 8-point star), that command can be added to Startup Applications, and
>> gpk-update-viewer is what you get when you click on the star.
>>
>> have you had something else on the mind? Or for CentOS 7 perhaps?
>>
> mostly looking to target VM's and cloudinstances that have barely enough
> to get yum and openssh-server running, so a yum plugin with an output
> that sends to motd work work best

Are you referring to something like "update-motd"?  That appears to be
installed on my Amazon EC2 instances; when I log in, I get a message like:

1 package(s) needed for security, out of 3 available
Run "sudo yum update" to apply all updates.

The RPM "update-motd" (in Amazon's repo) claims the license is ASL 2.0.

I found an old article at:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/tech-tip-periodically-update-your-motd-update-motd

-Greg