[CentOS-devel] pending updates notification on login

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 22:46:20 UTC 2014

On 12 June 2014 15:46, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 4:36 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> if a yum-plugin is able to drop the number somewhere, an echo in .skel
> >> would be all the 'UI' we need, and if its there for the default user on
> >> instance bringup, the skel should get copied over ( and then the user
> >> can do whatever they please ) to all new users as well.
> >

> > So a cron job which does a
> >
> > yum list updates | awk 'BEGIN{x=0}; {if ($NF~'update') {x=x+1}};
> END{print
> > "Your system is behind  " x " updates."}' > /etc/centos-updates
> > Your system is behind  37 updates.
> >
> > with it all being in python or something. Then in .bashrc a bit of 'if
> tty
> > && SEENALREADY then cat /etc/centos-updates; SEENALREADY=1; fi' type
> logic
> >

> a) shouldn't this have a concept of security-related vs other updates?
> b) maybe use .bash_profile vs. .bashrc?
> c) should it handle multiple users and notify each once?
> c) isn't there something gnome-ish that already does this with a gui?
> Can the non-gui version share the check and pending value?

That is a completely different set of requirements than what was given by
KB.

a) Security updates would require that a yum plugin is installed to parse
that information.
b) Correct. It probably would go in /etc/profile.d or some such thing.
c) The yum is to be run by a cron job to meet KB's requirement that yum is
not run every time someone logs in. The login profile fires up if the shell
is interactive and the environment variable to not show it again is not set.
d) The GNOME/KDE gui uses packagekit to basically do a repoquery update
every couple of minutes. .  it is also a bunch of packages that a remote vm
probably won't have installed.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.