[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 QA qcow image

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Jun 17 15:17:39 UTC 2014

On 06/16/2014 09:11 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2014, at 05:27 AM, Scott Dowdle wrote:
>>
>> The easiest way to make your own would be to boot the network install
>> boot.iso and create your own VM in your preferred virt platform. I used
>> KVM and it worked fine.  Once the install is done, customize as you see
>> fit (like add an /etc/yum.repos.d/centos-alpha.repo for example).  Shut
>> the machine down and clone the disk image all you want.
>
> The issue you get with that approach is having ssh keys, passwords etc.
> stored in the image.
>
> If you're in a situation where you need to do this, at least look at:
> http://libguestfs.org/virt-sysprep.1.html
>
> The correct thing to do though is to generate images cleanly via
> something like Imagefactory (which does anaconda-in-a-vm).

from the project side, yea - however on the user side the dep chain in
libguestfs is quite large, most people will not want to install that on
a production setup.

And regardless of what tool we use on the project side - the image
delivered to the consumer end is still going to have metadata issues -
there needs to be a simpler way to get root pass, network config and
maybe a bootstrap script injected in.

a min-cloud-service to compliment
https://github.com/cgwalters/min-cloud-agent would/could be an
interesting win. is there something like that out there already ?

this is an ongoing issue in the centos-virt-list as well

--
Karanbir Singh