[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 QA qcow image

Juerg Haefliger juergh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 05:47:14 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 5:17 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>
wrote:

> On 06/16/2014 09:11 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 15, 2014, at 05:27 AM, Scott Dowdle wrote:
> >>
> >> The easiest way to make your own would be to boot the network install
> >> boot.iso and create your own VM in your preferred virt platform. I used
> >> KVM and it worked fine.  Once the install is done, customize as you see
> >> fit (like add an /etc/yum.repos.d/centos-alpha.repo for example).  Shut
> >> the machine down and clone the disk image all you want.
> >
> > The issue you get with that approach is having ssh keys, passwords etc.
> > stored in the image.
> >
> > If you're in a situation where you need to do this, at least look at:
> > http://libguestfs.org/virt-sysprep.1.html
> >
> > The correct thing to do though is to generate images cleanly via
> > something like Imagefactory (which does anaconda-in-a-vm).
>
> from the project side, yea - however on the user side the dep chain in
> libguestfs is quite large, most people will not want to install that on
> a production setup.
>
> And regardless of what tool we use on the project side - the image
> delivered to the consumer end is still going to have metadata issues -
> there needs to be a simpler way to get root pass, network config and
> maybe a bootstrap script injected in.
>
> a min-cloud-service to compliment
> https://github.com/cgwalters/min-cloud-agent would/could be an
> interesting win. is there something like that out there already ?

I'm not exactly sure what your use case is but FWIW a wrote a simple EC2
metadata server as part of dwarf:
https://github.com/juergh/dwarf/blob/master/dwarf/compute/ec2metadata.py.
That could be pulled out and made a standealone service. While working on
this I noticed that the avahi daemon interferes with the instance's
metadata requests. I'm completely ignorant when it comes to avahi but
wouldn't it be nice if it could be taught to fulfill the instance's
requests?

Also, if the instance has the NoCloud datasource enabled (which it should)
you can use a simple ISO9660 image to provide metadata to cloud-init:
http://cloudinit.readthedocs.org/en/latest/topics/datasources.html#no-cloud

...Juerg