[CentOS-devel] RHEL Extras and what we might do with them

Jeff Sheltren jeff at tag1consulting.com
Tue Jun 17 16:13:48 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 9:06 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>
wrote:

> hi,
>
> So we now have RHEL media, RHEL optionals and RHEL Extras. Optionals and
> media seems to tie in as before, however Extras has its own policy +
> lifeterm etc.
>
> Thoughts on what we might do with those rpms ? I'd have though that
> putting them in CentOS-Extras would line up nicely. Content that is
> available out of the blocks to anyone with a CentOS install, but not
> themselves included in the distro.
>
> thoughts ?

I like that approach.  If these packages actually have different lifetime
expectancies, may change versions, etc. I think putting them in Base could
be problematic.  CentOS-Extras seems like a good compromise.  Is there any
reason these might need to be separated from what was historically in
CentOS-Extras?

-Jeff