[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Jun 20 11:16:41 UTC 2014

On 06/20/2014 12:06 PM, Tim Bell wrote:

> The communication problems you raise are exactly the ones that we will have with our user community. Given the difficulties you have explaining it to those on centos-devel, imagine how we'll be explaining it to our thousands of users, external support lines and management chains.
>
> I could explain a 7.0 or even 7.0.1406 but a 7.1406 with an associated wiki page would cause us real problems in the field.

i think that wiki page thing was mostly a non-starter, lets drop that
for now. the ReleaseNotes are in the wiki, and I believe thats what it
implied, the Release announcement + notes etc would clearly highlight
what point release of RHEL we built from.

However, also consider that we might be able to do something on the
machine itself, eg: lsb_release reports 7.0 and/or we can overload
/etc/redhat-release to map to the RHEL version while /etc/centos-release
can export both eg:
CentOS release 7.1406 ( EL 7.0 )

( i dont think RHEL branding police will let us put RHEL in there, but
we can certainly ask )

btw, the grounding of this issue is with me struggling to communicate
why there are AMI's that say CentOS-6 that dont map 1:1 with CentOS-6.5
installer tree, although 6.5 is the last released CentOS version.

--
Karanbir Singh