[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Tom Sorensen tsorensen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 13:50:51 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 7:06 AM, Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:

> I share Greg's perspective. I see the technical arguments but have not
> seen the benefits that justify the significant confusion.
>
> The communication problems you raise are exactly the ones that we will
> have with our user community. Given the difficulties you have explaining it
> to those on centos-devel, imagine how we'll be explaining it to our
> thousands of users, external support lines and management chains.
>
> I could explain a 7.0 or even 7.0.1406 but a 7.1406 with an associated
> wiki page would cause us real problems in the field.

This. So much this.

We have a mixed RHEL/CentOS environment, and having the CentOS systems at
the same rev as the RHEL ones (which are locked due to ignorant vendors) is
essential. While techies may not have much issue with 7.YYMM, it's going to
be a pain to explain to management. Having the minor rev in there would
pretty much fix this.

It seems like a good middle ground.

Tom