[CentOS-devel] centosplus kernel naming

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Jun 24 12:29:43 UTC 2014

On 06/24/2014 07:18 AM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 2:07 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>> On 06/23/2014 02:48 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>> I have another question. Now that the "plus" is in the name, should we
>>> drop the ".plus" tag? For example, the current plus kernel is in the
>>> form of:
>>>
>>> kernel-xxx.el6.centos.plus.x86_64
>>>
>>> This will become:
>>>
>>> kernel-plus-xxx.el7.centos.x86_64
>>>
>>> One argument against omitting the .plus tag may become apparent here:
>>>
>>> $ uname -r
>>> 3.10.0-123.el7.centos.x86_64
>>>
>>> If/when there is, say, kernel-xen for c7, that will share the same
>>> 'uname' output as the plus kernel.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>> That is a sticky one .. I supposed one could argue that the .plus does
>> not need to be there since it is in the name, but more important than
>> `uname -r` specifically is what is in /lib/modules/ for the directory
>> structure.  If the kernel-xen and the kernel-plus are also trying to use
>> the same structure there, then that will obviously not work, so we will
>> need something unique in that part of the string.
> Exactly. So,
>
> kernel-plus-xxx.el7.centos.plus.x86_64
>
> should be used?

I think so then, yes ... OR, we need to modify the package to add the
plus there.  It used to do that for c5 (at least) kernels with a
processing script somewhere (so kernel-xen got a xen appended to the
modules location ) .. not exactly sure where that is right now and if we
want to do that or use the .plus instead.

But when we do xen and that other kernel we were taking about, the issue
will come up again.