[CentOS-devel] centosplus kernel naming

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 12:18:25 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 2:07 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> On 06/23/2014 02:48 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:

>> I have another question. Now that the "plus" is in the name, should we
>> drop the ".plus" tag? For example, the current plus kernel is in the
>> form of:
>>
>> kernel-xxx.el6.centos.plus.x86_64
>>
>> This will become:
>>
>> kernel-plus-xxx.el7.centos.x86_64
>>
>> One argument against omitting the .plus tag may become apparent here:
>>
>> $ uname -r
>> 3.10.0-123.el7.centos.x86_64
>>
>> If/when there is, say, kernel-xen for c7, that will share the same
>> 'uname' output as the plus kernel.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> That is a sticky one .. I supposed one could argue that the .plus does
> not need to be there since it is in the name, but more important than
> `uname -r` specifically is what is in /lib/modules/ for the directory
> structure.  If the kernel-xen and the kernel-plus are also trying to use
> the same structure there, then that will obviously not work, so we will
> need something unique in that part of the string.

Exactly. So,

kernel-plus-xxx.el7.centos.plus.x86_64

should be used?

> Note: you will have to roll in KB's certificate changes (now in
> git.centos.org) and we will have to build it on the server that can sign
> the secureboot stuff before we release it ... the
> 3154598aff24615c1f82d79ed299fb3d155d3282 revision is the GA kernel with
> the new certs and brandig mods.
> f355f5c33a16a2168bdad17ccc60db6b8198f6af is the revision for the ZeroDay
> update with the certs and mods.

I'm doing a test build of the GA kernel with the centos certificate
added (almost done). Once I know it boots and works, I will submit it
your way so that it is built on your server. Then further testing has
to be done for secureboot and others.

Akemi