[CentOS-devel] centosplus kernel naming

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Jun 24 09:07:53 UTC 2014

On 06/23/2014 02:48 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 6:10 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>> On 06/12/2014 02:31 AM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>> However, kernel-plus is also fine with me. Since this is KB's choice,
>>> if no one is against it, I suppose this is going to be the "final
>>> answer".
>> go go go ! where is my plus kernel ?
> I have it -- well protected from prying eyes. :)
>
> I have another question. Now that the "plus" is in the name, should we
> drop the ".plus" tag? For example, the current plus kernel is in the
> form of:
>
> kernel-xxx.el6.centos.plus.x86_64
>
> This will become:
>
> kernel-plus-xxx.el7.centos.x86_64
>
> One argument against omitting the .plus tag may become apparent here:
>
> $ uname -r
> 3.10.0-123.el7.centos.x86_64
>
> If/when there is, say, kernel-xen for c7, that will share the same
> 'uname' output as the plus kernel.
>
> Thoughts?

That is a sticky one .. I supposed one could argue that the .plus does
not need to be there since it is in the name, but more important than
`uname -r` specifically is what is in /lib/modules/ for the directory
structure.  If the kernel-xen and the kernel-plus are also trying to use
the same structure there, then that will obviously not work, so we will
need something unique in that part of the string.

Note: you will have to roll in KB's certificate changes (now in
git.centos.org) and we will have to build it on the server that can sign
the secureboot stuff before we release it ... the
3154598aff24615c1f82d79ed299fb3d155d3282 revision is the GA kernel with
the new certs and brandig mods.
f355f5c33a16a2168bdad17ccc60db6b8198f6af is the revision for the ZeroDay
update with the certs and mods.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes