[CentOS-devel] working around stacked updates

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Jun 24 22:39:18 UTC 2014

On 06/24/2014 01:24 PM, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2014, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
> >> Will the 'as dropped' kernel and each intermediate kernel
> >> discussed by upstream in a RHSA, etc be published?  What is
> >> the plan as to anaconda integration?
>
> > So that means we can build both kernels from git ... one to put onto the
> > iso, the other one (now two after we apply the same changes to the new
> > kernel-3.10.0-123.4.2.el7)
>
> > These kind of changes will only happen when Red Hat imports 2 versions
> > in before we have a chance to modify the first version ... which will
> > only likely happen on point releases?
>
> It is of course a black box to outsiders as to WHO is making
> such commits into the git.centos.org image, when they are all
> mashed together without commit history.  The 'initial drop'
> seemingly was from another git, but eliding all commit
> comments and differentiation as to who the committer was, date
> of same, etc.

I have no idea where the initial import comes from ... All I know is it
comes from Red Hat.

> One assumes RHT Release Engineering and others inside RHT have
> commit rights on that tree ... the trick in understanding the
> security model and ability to dis-aggregate who committed what
> without history

Again,  I don't know.  It comes from Red Hat.  Someone else will need to
comment on that.  From my perspective, this initial commit is just like
a RHEL SRPM.  Something from Red Hat that I trust explicitly.

> It was clearly not, as some have opined, a simply unroll of
> SRPMs and import, as there are several packages with no spec
> file present.  List in the file:
>     https://github.com/herrold/tool-tips/blob/master/clefos/fixup-dist.sh
> in the second 'HERE' document.  The first outlines spec files
> needing dist tagfixup

SCLs are not some we are building yet.  To be honest, I haven't even
looked at one of those in the tree yet.  I just picked one and looked at
it, it seems to have a spec file just fine:

https://git.centos.org/tree/rpms!php55/a6d9c8fb3b8b211a9df1cdf49ccd6c54c4de6e98/SPECS

Once CentOS-7 is released, we will begin work on CentOS-7 SCLs

Other things listed:

We had redhat-release-server from RHEL 7 RC in our tree initially to be
able to build things, that require was later met with a version of
centos-release.

The SRPMS redhat-release*, redhat-indexhtml, redhat-logos,
Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-Release_Notes* are not going to be released in
CentOS ... they are blacklisted.  centos-release, centos-indexhtml,
centos-logos will replace the redhat-* ones,
Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_Release_Notes* will just not exist in CentOS.

I see no issues with esc, haproxy, OpenEXR, or any of the others you
list with no spec, example:

https://git.centos.org/tree/rpms!esc/b795a4fef7d3400e969f7897b6dbf7c00e9b3436/SPECS