[CentOS-devel] DVD split media

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Mon Jun 30 16:07:47 UTC 2014

On 30/06/14 17:44, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 06/30/2014 09:17 AM, Anssi Johansson wrote:
>> Here's the final split according to my proposal:
>> $ du -s dvd*
>> 3339792	dvd1
>> 2822120	dvd2
>>
>> $ wc -l c7-dvd*
>>    2987 c7-dvd1-rpms.txt
>>    5478 c7-dvd2-rpms.txt
>>    8465 total
>>
>> Here's my proposal for the split:
>> http://miuku.net/tmp/7packages/c7-dvd1-rpms.txt
>> http://miuku.net/tmp/7packages/c7-dvd2-rpms.txt
>
> This is fantasic bit of work - reading through the email, I agree - this
> should give us a pretty good idea on the split.
>
> One point though - if we were to do :
>
> dvd#1.iso
> dvd#2.iso ( which contains things otherwise not installable via the
> installer )
>
> and a distro-everything.iso ( at about 7GB, for people who want to host
> it on USB keys and nfs mounts etc ),
>
> then is there any point in the dvd#2 ? if people cant use it install time ?
>
> - KB

If packages on DVD#2 aren't installed by a rpm dep from packages on DVD
#1, and that those packages aren't referenced in the comps.xml (that can
force packages to be installed without any rpm dep), I'd be inclined to
skip dvd #2, and just have all those packages on the mirrors (and
included in the distro-everything.iso, that can be used on a usb stick)

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab