[CentOS-devel] DVD split media

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 16:55:15 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:07 AM, Scott Dowdle <dowdle at montanalinux.org> wrote:

> I wouldn't think so.  Debian used to produce CD and DVD images for their entire package base... and Debian ended up being 50+ CDs... but who really downloaded all of that and who would want to mirror it?  Fedora gave up producing media for everything some time ago.

In older Centos releases the CD images were handy because you could
rsync them to an NFS-exported directory, and do a network install
without having to do anything else, but I don't think that works any
more - or at least you have to extract the images directory first.
Now I think the easiest approach is to install a minimal CD iso, then
'yum install  big_list_of_packages'.   Especially since you'll end up
getting a lot of them as updates immediately anyway if you install
them from DVDs.   It might be useful to publish the
'big_list_of_packages' for the sets that you can choose in a DVD
install so you could match them easily.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com