[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Jun 20 10:35:08 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 06/18/2014 06:02 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> With the release of CentOS 7 just around the corner, have the board
> members made a decision?

No we havent, its something we've been iterating over but there is no
decision made at this point.

> We have seen an overwhelming number of responses from the community
> members. Many of them are long time contributors who do not mind
> "having late-night
> coffee-fueled work sessions after the family's gone to bed".
>
> Now the world is watching (between the FIFA games) how the board would
> handle the situation in which their idea/plan does not get support
> from the community.

So, personally - I think the community feedback was great, how badly we
communcated the idea was apareny and clear for everyone to see. And I
personally feel that a large chunk of the response was down to fear of
change in areas that we had never even imaged were going to change.

I'm also assuming that my last email to this thread cleared all the
technical issues that people had brought up, if there are still some
outstanding now is a great time for people to raise those.

So what it really boils down to is communication, and not technical
reasons as to why there is resistance to this change. And if we are able
to find a clear / clean way to communicate the relationship - something
that the community at large agree's to, then we have a plan going forward.

I seem to be saying this a lot, but getting better at what we do should
never really be optional - and I definitely feel that the numbering
change allows us to do just that. We just need to find a way to to
communicate and overcome the emotional resitance to change. CentOS Linux
is going to always retain RHEL mapping for 1:1 rebuild, as a best effort
- and now more open and more visible than before. Now, reparse the
thread with that statement in mind and you will find that the biggest
resistance goes away completely.

How can we make it even more aparent as to what we are trying to do ?

I will aim to deliver two sets of tree's today to buildlogs.centos.org,
one that targets a 7.0 release tag and another one that does 7.1406,
lets see if we can find, in using the 7.1406 metrics on what breaks and
how. We can then work backwards to fix the issues, and move the
conversation forward.

<plug>Also, I've been working flat out 15hrs/day for the last 4 weeks to
get us here - if anyone was hoping to come along and join the
contributor path, please dont hold back :) </plug>

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh