[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Greg Lindahl

greg at blekko.com
Fri Jun 20 10:53:02 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 11:35:08AM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> I'm also assuming that my last email to this thread cleared all the
> technical issues that people had brought up, if there are still some
> outstanding now is a great time for people to raise those.

I read it, and I'm still 'meh' on the concept. I think that there
should be a compelling reason to diverge from upstream versioning, and
I don't see it.

The SIG problem is that either SIGs are at the tip, or not. Having
different version names from upstream doesn't really help.

The user problem is that either users are at the tip, or not. Having
different version names might make that more obvious, but I bet that
people who don't stay at the tip won't notice.

I stay at the tip.  Having different version numbers from upstream
merely confuses my coworkers. Hence, 'meh'.

-- greg