[CentOS-devel] kpatch process

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Jun 20 23:13:07 UTC 2014

On 06/20/2014 06:30 PM, Jim Perrin wrote:

> On 06/20/2014 12:15 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> hi
>>
>> since we now have a GA kernel and a zero day update kernel, does someone
>> want to have a go at creating the scripts / automation needed to deliver
>> kpatch content ?
>>
>> - KB
>>

> Sat through a basic presentation on this, and on the surface it seems
> reasonably easy to implement at the local level. Distro wide, it will
> become an exercise in deployment of patches, as not all things can be
> patched. There's also a reasonably insignificant (or so I'm told)
> performance penalty that will grow as more things are added to the
> kpatch list without a reboot.

something really cool is that the kpatch process itself works quite
nicely with git, we could potentially deliver a tool that allows people
to self-implement, rather than needing to ship kpatch payload (
otherwise, were potentially looking at a yum plugin of sorts and a rpm
based wrapper )

does that sound like something we could target ?

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh