[CentOS-devel] Adding the EPEL release package to the extras repository

Ljubomir Ljubojevic

centos at plnet.rs
Fri Jun 27 15:38:55 UTC 2014

On 06/27/2014 04:35 PM, Dan Porter wrote:
>     My main concern would be that it would give an implicit approval of all
>     EPEL packages for CentOS 7. That also implies that we would support
>     EPEL packages in the IRC channel and other forums even though CentOS has
>     no control over those packages at all.
>
> Remember that by installing the ‘release’ package from any repository,
> you implicitly agree to the terms they provide in their license. I don’t
> think we’ll have to support EPEL as a result (just support for the
> release package itself)
>
> Dan
>

> On 26 June 2014 21:53, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs
> <mailto:centos at plnet.rs>> wrote:
>
>     On 06/26/2014 02:28 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>     > On 06/25/2014 06:30 PM, Peter wrote:
>     >> On 06/26/2014 10:28 AM, Jim Perrin wrote:
>     >>> In the discussions for putting CentOS 7 together, the board's
>     agreed to
>     >>> make the epel-release package available in the centos-extras
>     repository
>     >>> as part of the el7 build.
>     >>>
>     >>> Are there any objections to this before we execute?
>     >> My main concern would be that it would give an implicit approval
>     of all
>     >> EPEL packages for CentOS 7.  That also implies that we would support
>     >> EPEL packages in the IRC channel and other forums even though
>     CentOS has
>     >> no control over those packages at all.
>     >>
>     >> On the flip side it also means that to be fair CentOS should
>     include the
>     >> -release packages for other third-party repositories as well.
>     >
>     > We would come up with a process for other repos, yes.  But we have to
>     > start somewhere and EPEL is the one the board thinks we should
>     start with.
>     >
>     > WRT the IRC support, we can redirect people to #epel if it is related
>     > specifically to packaging, etc  .. and we can support other things
>     > (assuming someone knows the info) in #centos.  We should likely
>     support
>     > more things in #centos anyway :)
>     >

>     When Board discusses other repositories, please keep in mind addition of
>     priority=x (and maybe yum-plugin-priorities), and maybe some tool to
>     easily change priorities (for those wanting non-vanila priorities).
>     Changing default priority (without priority line) to 20 or some other
>     number would make sure repos without priority line would not mess with
>     configured ones.
>
>     EPEL and other 3rd party repositories with lesser priority then
>     base/updates  + plugin would be very safe.

If centos-release gets priority=1 line for base/updates repositories,
and included yum-plugin-priorities is modified to include default
priority value = 20 (when there is no priority= line), then ANY repo
(including EPEL) will have default 20 and will not be able to override
any repository that centos is releasing (with priority=1 line).

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)