[CentOS-devel] DVD split media

Anssi Johansson

centos at miuku.net
Fri Jun 27 22:36:46 UTC 2014

26.6.2014 1.02, Karanbir Singh kirjoitti:
> The main distro is just a hint over 6.6GB, that means we cant really put
> all the stuff into a single DVD[1]; so we need to do the splits. In the
> past, we've done multiple installs making sure that all the installable
> components from the installer's groups, in english atleast, are all on
> DVD#1 and the rest can goto DVD#2. I suspect that strategy will work
> here as well, and does someone want to give it a shot and come up with a
> list of rpms that are installable via the installer.

I extracted a list of all packages from the current c7-x86_64-comps.xml
( available at https://git.centos.org/tree/sig-core!comps.git ), and
installed them and their dependencies in a chroot, then had a look at
what actually got installed.

I also installed a few VMs to test which packages the installer will
pull in by itself for mdraid, encrypted filesystems and UEFI support.

The end result is that the rpms listed at
http://miuku.net/tmp/7-installable-rpms.txt are installable from the
installer, whereas the rpms listed at
http://miuku.net/tmp/7-other-rpms.txt are not.

The packages on the first list are about 3.5GB in total. I would suggest
to place them on the first DVD. Do note that the installer will also
take some space from the first DVD. The other packages (some 2.4GB) can
be put on the 2nd DVD.

Disclaimer: If c7-x86_64-comps.xml is somehow incorrect, my method will
produce incorrect results. Garbage in, garbage out.

Post scriptum: I tried to verify my findings by doing a real "Server
with GUI" installation. It ended up installing a few more packages than
I had expected, namely these:

ocaml-brlapi-0.6.0-8.el7.x86_64.rpm
tcl-brlapi-0.6.0-8.el7.x86_64.rpm
python-isomd5sum-1.0.10-4.el7.x86_64.rpm
python-libteam-1.9-15.el7.x86_64.rpm
pinentry-gtk-0.8.1-14.el7.x86_64.rpm
quota-warnquota-4.01-11.el7.x86_64.rpm

These are not mentioned in comps.xml, and no other package seems to
require them either. If you can figure out how they ended up getting
installed, please tell.

This may mean that the lists I provided above may be incorrect. I can
redo the lists once I figure out what went wrong.