[CentOS-devel] Centos 7 VS Gnome 3

Fri Mar 7 23:27:54 UTC 2014
Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 6:27 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Another issue is that Gnome3 needs 3D and does not work with x2go (and
>>> probably freenx/nx  if that is going to be packaged).   And I almost
>>> never work directly at a console.   KDE seems to mostly work, but it
>>> is annoying to have to switch after all these years of RedHat pushing
>>> GNOME.
>>>

>> Is GNOME 2 for CentOS 7 totally out of the picture?
>
> I'd hate to try to package something like that in a way that would
> satisfy the rpm dependencies without conflicts.   There should be some
> sort of classic mode or flashback that works in 2D but I don't think
> either is included now.

Why none is writing about Cinnamon?
I say it because annoyed by gnome 3 consumption of cpu and gpu
resources (and sometimes needing to "kill -SIGHUP" gnome-shell because
freezed, especially when using rdp sessions..) I'm happily using
Cinnamon in both Fedora 19 and Fedora 20 since one month.

It is in my opinion a perfect compromise: completely integrated with
dbus and notifications, networkmanager and many other things.
I tried in the recent past both xfce and mate and also if they are
both very good, my fully personal vote at this moment goes to
Cinnamon.
I think that it should not be too complicated to package it for RHEL 7
and/or CentOS 7.
Not yet tested RH EL 7 beta at all, but I'm going to try and to see
how difficult could be to build Cinnamon source rpm coming from fedora

Cheers,
Gianluca