[CentOS-devel] Creating a CentOS-only package

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue May 13 20:01:53 UTC 2014

On 05/13/2014 06:52 PM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> In Fedora and EPEL we have the qpid-cpp package (which I spoke about in
> an email last week) for all supported version of Fedora and for EL7
> (can't do EL5/6 for the reasons mentioned in that previous email).
>
> This week we discussed the idea of providing CentOS specific packages,
> starting with CentOS 7. In RHEL we have product packages, this would be
> something separate from what we would be doing as a product.
>
> What would be the process for doing something like this?

the easy way of doing this would be to drop it into the Plus repo, that
allows anything ( including stuff that over writes and replaces
components from inside the base os repos ). however, that means that any
other code that requires or benefits from the newer qpid would need to
rely on the Plus repo ( and thereby potentially expose all packages, not
just qpid, to the install ). Unless some sort of includepkg / excludepkg
is done ( is messy, but many people can live with it ).

With that in mind, what sort of use cases are you trying to target - i
dont think we really quantified that in the prev thread.

--
Karanbir Singh