[CentOS-devel] OpenNebula Variant and Cloud SIG proposals

Vincent Van der Kussen vincent at vanderkussen.org
Mon May 26 14:42:38 UTC 2014

> Apologies, I sent this to KB's direct mailbox earlier today and apparently
> I didn't send it to centos-devel. So I'm forwarding it now.
>
> Given that there are at least two other projects keen to make this happen,
> it would be great if the Cloud SIG could be a single multicloud target.
>
> --
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm Jaime Melis from the OpenNebula project [1]. We have been involved
> with
> CentOS for the past year making a stable Cloud Management Platform [2]. I
> would
> like to hereby propose a new CentOS variant, namely the OpenNebula
> variant.
>
> This variant would add three roles to the CentOS installation:
>
> * OpenNebula Frontend
> * OpenNebula Node KVM
> * OpenNebula Node Xen
>
> The work for the Frontend and Node KVM roles has been completed and is
> ready to
> be released. The Node Xen role is still in progress although close to
> being
> finished.
>
> This work should take place under the Cloud SIG umbrella, which right as
> of
> now
> doesn't exist, so I would like to also propose the creation of this group
> with
> the aim of making the major cloud platforms work wth Centos.
>
> Regards,
> Jaime
>
> [1] http://opennebula.org/
> [2] http://wiki.centos.org/Cloud/OpenNebula/QuickStart

Hi All,

I'm picking up this rather old thread. I finally might have some free time
to work on this.

I can't seem to find earlier conversations about his but i believe the
intention was to release something that had everything on board to install
Opennebula.

I've a few questions about this :

- at first sight most ruby gems are available through EPEL. Are we going
to use that or do we rebuild the gems and add them to a CentOS/opennebula
repo ? It might make sense since Opennebula requires specific versions of
some gems and prioritize repo's might complicate things.

- Or is the idea to add them (rpms) to the install media? I think most
people deploy a minimal install and  work from there so it might not be
the best option.

--
Vincent Van der Kussen
@vincentvdk