[CentOS-devel] RFC: Alternative Desktop SIG

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu May 29 00:47:42 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 04:29:11PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>    On 24 May 2014 07:44, Jim Perrin <[1]jperrin at centos.org> wrote:
>
>      Right now we've been reasonably 'heads-down' on building the seven
>      rc
>      and getting prepared for when 7 lands, but I haven't heard anything
>      more
>      from the folks who proposed the sig. We have been in contact with
>      the
>      EPEL folks to stuff in there. Currently epel has both mate and
>      cinnamon,
>      and may pick up more once 7 goes gold.
>
>    My apologies. I have been head down in my own work and let this get
>    away. What do people want to hear on this and want to see? My starting
>    issue was to get a conversation started and see who was interested in
>    what desktops and such without it being a one guy SIG. Â
>    --
>    Stephen J Smoogen.

I'm interested in having a Mate desktop (in the absence of Gnome 2).
I figured if I volunteered to help in some way it would be more
likely than if I just whined. :)

So, I've been writing C for many years, usually in a Unix/Linux
environment, but I've never done any GUI programming, and not much
low-level stuff. I don't have any experience creating RPMs from scratch,
for example. there's a long list of things I don't know. But if all else
fails, I can assist with documentation, or bug triage, or such stuff.

                         God made him who had no sin
                      to be sin for us, so that in him
                 we might become the righteousness of God."