[CentOS-devel] Small Business SIG suggestion

Omar Eljumaily

omar1 at omnicode.com
Fri May 2 18:28:00 UTC 2014

Thanks Filippo.  Here are some general comments on the home vs business
issue.  I'm not trying to start an argument or anything like that, just
carry on a discussion about it.

First of all when I think of what I would do strictly with a home
server, I'm thinking:

1. Home security
2. Home automation
3. Entertainment
4. Backup
5. Cloudsync

This is of course just me, my family, and my experience.  Also, I'm
thinking of server vs client systems.  So I think what would I
personally do with a home server, these are things that I've already
done or intend to do.  So I can put all my old VCR tapes and DVDs onto a
server and stream them to my tv, well that's cool and I think a lot of
people would find that a useful application.  I might also want to have
the streaming app sync with other people on the internet for some sort
of comment streaming system.  Maybe I can run a game server as part of a
broader internet community.  That's also cool.

Some of the things I probably will not do on a home server which are
listed on your proposal:

Postfix
Cyrus IMAP (or Dovecot)
SpamAssassin
ClamAV (from EPEL) (perhaps, but not for email)
OpenSSL for user certificates

I will almost definitely not run a home email server, and I don't know
anybody who runs a home email server.  There are even advocates of
moving all business email to the cloud, and I frequently have
conversations with my clients on that topic.  However, there are still
important reasons for small businesses to run their own email servers.
It would also be very unlikely for a home user to run a public
website/web application, but small business is likely to want that for a
number of reasons.

Here is a list of things I think small business would use that home
users would not:

1. Email server
2. Single signon mechanisms
3. File sharing/Samba in general (perhaps)
4. Public web server (although private LAMP stack would be useful).
5. Client device management and backup (including PDC).
6. VPN server
7. LDAP
8. RAID
9. Replication & mirroring.

Certainly not comprehensive, and of course some home users would want
these services, but they can always get the business version if the 2
versions are indeed separated.

There's also this business of convincing people to use a Linux based
business server.  I personally believe it would be an easier sell if
there were a special version very tightly targeted for just business
use.  Yes, business owners can use the same coffee maker that's in their
home in their office, but for some reason they feel more comfortable
with something that looks like a commercial version.

I think there certainly are a lot of areas of overlap, and those areas
should definitely be addressed, which is another topic.  Of course just
my take, and thanks again.

Omar